Tuesday, October 07, 2014

Cat Stuck in Tree Next?

I have avoided chiming in with my $.02 on the latest heavily publicized "Fire Boat Rescues Dog from Canal" stories.  I was hoping somebody else could find a dark side to saving somebody's beloved pet rescued.  But it didn't happen.

Here's the disclaimers:

1)  I like dogs, I've always had dogs.  Some of my best friends are dogs.

2) The current FD administration did not acquire the stupid fire boat -- so we can't blame them for the foolish thing. (but maybe they could sell it?)  

3)  I am reluctant to antagonize any group that I may need to save my fat ass from a bad situation

That being said, would we have emptied the station leaving at least half the Town with limited coverage if it was a cat stuck in a tree?  If we had multiple calls and called in mutual aid from another Town is it fair to make those other folks wait for an ambulance?

Couldn't the Coast Guard, or the Harbor Master who already have staffed boats on site handled the call?  


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

And if the owner had the dog on a leash and properly supervised they would not have had to waste our tax dollars on a dog rescue.

Anonymous said...

Well yeah, but nobody has the Harbor Master's number stored in their phone contacts.

Anonymous said...

I'm betting the Sandwich 911 operator knows what the Harbor Master's phone number is --- maybe even the Coast Guard's. But, why use them just because they are closer?

Gilligan said...

Id love to know what the cost of this rescue was. And, Id love to know how much this boat costs tax payers per year to operate?

Anonymous said...

Will the dog owner be billed?

Anonymous said...

samdwich needs a million dollar boat...."if it saves one dog..."

it is worth it

Anonymous said...

Or the annual drunken kayaker!