Thursday, May 19, 2011

Silence Deafening?

This week's CCT story could have been entitled "Where's Waldo?".  The Superintendent is running the District -- but from an undisclosed location (similar to Dick Cheney's situation a few years back).

It's funny -- I get almost as many complaints when I sit quietly, as I do when I'm ranting and raving about the lack of professionalism and apparent stupidity of some people.

So, what's different now?  

I think the situation is just as abominable as before -- the only difference is that I have infinitely more confidence in the people dealing with the situation.  I may not agree with every member of the new majority on every issue -- but I am absolutely confident that they are in the game for the right reasons -- They have no axes to grind -- and, when given the opportunity, will do the right thing to move the District forward and break the inertia that plagued the Committee this past year.

There's a new School Committee, and on July 1 there will be a new School Superintendent -- somebody from Away who has yet to piss anybody off!!  (Maybe, in a spirit of evolution and goodwill, the members of the teachers union will even elect a new SEA President.)  Then, we can all hopefully start looking forward -- and facing some of the huge financial issues that are looming out there -- instead of constantly fighting history.

Don't tell me about 1972 -- tell me about 2011, and 2012, and 2013 ...


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bob what happen to the vice chair at Mondays meeting. Seem your MAJORITY WASN'T ALL THERE. I guess we still pick and choose what meetings we will attend.

Bob Simmons said...

I have no idea who was or wasn't at Monday's meeting -- which I believe was in Executive Session (that means YOU aren't supposed to be talking about it!)

But, since the meeting was at 6 PM -- many people who work in the private sector (including me) couldn't have been there. Not everybody gets to watch Oprah in the afternoon.

SC members are unpaid volunteers -- nobody expects (those with jobs) to give up their employment.

Also -- while I may think there are 4 good members on the Committee, I don't have a majority -- I control only my own ballot.

Anonymous said...

how appropriate that happenings at an executive session meeting be discussed publicly..Bob, this is just more of the same crap from the minority of madness.