Sunday, April 03, 2011

Bob Catalini For School Committee

From Bob's website at www.catalini4sc.com:

Please consider supporting my candidacy for the Sandwich School Committee. Serving over 3,400 students and the community at large is a tremendous responsibility - one that I don't take lightly. I have been actively engaged in the field of education for over 30 years, as a classroom teacher and as a high school administrator.

Working with the other members of the committee, here's what I can bring to the table:

  • professional experience
  • objective and balanced leadership
  • perspective of a long-time property owner in Sandwich (30 years)
  • no ties to special interest groups (totally self-funded campaign)
  • parent of a Wing School student
  • belief in long-term, strategic approaches
  • thorough understanding of school budgets
Together, I believe we can make the brand "Sandwich Public Schools" synonymous with "Excellence." There is fierce competition in education today. I have worked in two school districts, Groton-Dunstable and Old Rochester, which have prestigious prep schools - Groton School, Lawrence Academy, and Tabor Academy in their respective towns. Those schools and other nearby parochial schools and public schools which offered "school choice" required us to be competitive. We are now facing similar challenges here in Sandwich - one that I think we should meet head on.

We can market our schools more effectively. We have many fantastic educators as well as wonderful programs and opportunities for all students in grades K-12. With state funding decreasing yearly and high local property taxes we should be aggressive in offering school choice options to families in nearby towns. We should also explore new revenue streams and establish an endowment fund, supported by private philanthropy. 

I believe I have the professional experience and personal qualities to provide the objective and balanced leadership necessary to help lead a cooperative effort to provide the best education for the children of Sandwich. I greatly appreciate your consideration of my candidacy.

And please join my email list for updates from the campaign trail.

Sincerely,
Bob Catalini

1 comment:

Bob Catalini said...

Bob, thank you for your your endorsement. Your blog, along with other media, provides a forum for the exchange of ideas regarding local issues. Hopefully, this ongoing dialogue leads us in a positive direction for our schools and community at large.

Since the selection of Dr. Canfield, by a 7-0 vote of the SC, on March 24th, I, personally, have focused on moving forward. We all know the history of educational events over the last few years. We all have our opinions of them. I believe it's time to be forward thinking and keep the 3400 children and young adults that we serve at the center of our thoughts.

Dr. Johnson's recent letter to school employees was truly gracious and in our best interests. She will, no doubt, be committed to a smooth transition to Dr. Canfield's leadership. I commend and admire her professional approach.

I would like to be part of the team that moves us forward to meet our challenges. I do have an extensive educational background and a balanced, objective outlook.

This is a critical time for our town. There needs to be communication and transparency between the boards and committees that set policy and lead us. It is time for "we" not "me".

Please visit my site www.catalini4sc.com and feel free to email me your thoughts and ideas.

Regards,
Bob Catalini